A first look is a moment you and your partner share before the ceremony when you get to see each other in your wedding attire for the very first time. It’s an opportunity to take a few minutes together, just the two of you before all of your guests arrive at the ceremony site.
The idea behind a first look is that it can help calm your nerves and give you time to collect yourself before your big moment. In addition, it is an opportunity to savour your precious private moments and unwind together. Coral and Bradley’s wedding video really highlights this opportunity –
Once unheard of in NI, first looks are becoming more popular these days – in fact, they’re winning the hearts of many couples due to their romantic and striking impression. But should you have one? That depends on what kind of couple you are, what kind of feeling you want to convey, and how you feel about seeing each other before the ceremony.
During your wedding planning process, consider the following pros and cons to the first look:
- It’s romantic! It’s just you and your partner, without any distractions or other people around. You can take as long as you need together, just enjoying each other’s company with no expectations on either side. You can also choose to privately exchange your own vows during the first look and say all those things that you wouldn’t be able to in front of many guests. The emotions associated with that moment feel surreal!
- It’s intimate! You’ll get your intimate candid emotions filmed on a wedding video – just the two of you together before the ceremony starts. And those moments will stay with you forever!
- It can help ease the stress! There are more than enough things for couples to worry about on their wedding day – from getting ready to walking down the aisle. A first look can help you relax and focus on one of the most important parts of your relationship: you and your partner together. Furthermore, it will help set the tone for a stress-free wedding.
- It’s fun! Your special day is supposed to be a celebration, and this can help get you in the right mindset for that.
- It helps with time management! If you have a first look, then you’ll already be done getting ready by the time of your ceremony, making it easier to arrive there on time.
- It allows you to focus on yourself and your partner – you don’t have to worry about anyone else being present. You can savour this moment for yourselves without distractions or interruptions.
- You miss out on some of the excitement and surprise of seeing each other for the first time during the ceremony. However, I have seen many couples who were just as excited at the ceremony because it is a different feeling!
- You won’t have any guests present when you see each other, which can make it feel like there isn’t much excitement surrounding this part of the wedding day. Still, this is totally subjective!
A first look is perfect for couples who want to spend some private time together before the ceremony. It’s certainly not for everyone, but it’s something worth exploring if you’re thinking about getting married and having a stress-free wedding. If you do decide that a first look is right for you, make sure you find someone who can capture all the details of what’s happening during this special time with your partner.
If you need a wedding videographer to document your iconic event, discover my wedding films on my portfolio page and feel free to get in contact with me! It would be an honour to portray your unique story.